Now it’s time to get your website online! By the time you finish this module, you will have WordPress installed on your domain and your website will be live.
Similar to setting up your hosting each provider can have different steps for installing WordPress. However, most reputable hosts make it simple to install WordPress with just a few clicks and a little bit of information.
For example, below you will see the steps of installing WordPress in cPanel. Just remember to refer to your host provider’s specific WordPress installation instructions.
In the screenshot below you will see cPanel and the Softaculous section to install WordPress:
To start click on the WordPress icon.
After that it will open a new page:
Click on Install now.
Here it will give you a series of inputs for you to complete.
Here are a few guidelines to follow as you fill out this information:
- For “In directory” you want to remove any text in that field. By removing it you will make sure WordPress is installed on your root domain.
- Your site name will be the same as your domain name without the .com extension. So if your domain is awesomedomain.com your site name would be “Awesome Domain”.
- In most cases, you won’t need multisite as that is for advanced users and certain situations that don’t apply to most online businesses.
- Enter a username and password for your WordPress login as well as an email address.
- Select your language.
- Choose whether to install additional security plugins. This is up to your preference.
- You don’t need advanced options.
- You can use the default theme it provides as you will be selecting a theme later on in the process.
- Choose an email address to have installation instructions sent to and click install.
After a few minutes, WordPress will be installed on your domain and you can now login to your site with your username and password at your WordPress admin login page. yourdomain.com/wp-admin
Your website is now live! Tomorrow we will be going through a few basic settings that should be configured in your WordPress website.